A second terror attack has taken place in Cambrils, a coastal town around 120km from Barcelona. Six bystanders and one police officer were injured – two seriously – when they were reportedly deliberately hit by a car. Alcanar is around 200km (124 miles) from Barcelona and 90km (56 miles) from Cambrils
- Two suspects whom police believe to be linked to the Barcelona attack are in custody, although neither is the driver. One is Driss Oukabir, originally named as the suspect, although he is reported to have told police that his identity documents were stolen before they were used to rent the van.
- A second van that was believed to have been used as a getaway vehicle for the Barcelona attacker was found abandoned in Vic, 80km away.
- Although police have said they believe the attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils to be linked, it is not clear if the man who drove the van that killed 13 people in Las Ramblas was among the suspects shot by police in the coastal town some hours later.
- There was another terrorist attack in Cambrils before five suspects were shot dead, authorities have confirmed.
A spokesman for the regional government of Catalonia said:
The alleged terrorists were in an Audi A3 and apparently knocked down several people before coming across a police patrol and a shoot-out ensued.
Seven people, including one police officer, were injured. The officer’s injuries are not life-threatening but one other person is critically injured and another seriously.
- One of the eyewitnessed told the BBC:
We were sitting at the bar and these girls ran in and some people started running past us. One of our friends looked down the street and he says: ‘Run.’
The next thing is we see this guy coming running at us and someone shouted: ‘Call the police, call the police.’
He was running away at first then he turned round and he came running back up the street and he stopped and that is when the police car came and then they were shouting at him.
And then he was walking around in a circle and then they shot him.
He fell to the ground and he came back up and he stepped over the fence and he was smiling at them. And he came walking to the police and he was taunting them sort of thing, and they shot him again.
And that was it and then he went down.
Categories: Breaking news